Friday was quite a relaxed day (though it probably shouldn't have been) because I was looking more into the contextual purposes of my project. I looked at the attitudes towards young drivers in England after watching a documentary called 'Licence to Kill' on BBC Three about how reckless driving changes lives. The documentary is led by Sophie Morgan who was paralysed in a car accident 10 years ago when she was 18. She wants to make a change to young peoples attitudes to driving and make sure they are fully aware of the risks and dangers before they pass their test. It was a real eye-opener of a documentary - showing graphic crashes from CCTV and showing the emotional turmoil families have to go through after their loved ones are involved in such events.
From this I wanted to look at how a campaign such as mine would work over here and whether there even is a need for it!
I didn't have to look far. I found 4 reports of young drivers and passengers being killed in the Isle of Man, with a total of 6 lives being lost. 18 year old Mike Kelly was killed in 2009, 14 year old Lucia Porter was killed in March this year, Benje Jones, Anthony Shaw and Adam Pope, all 19 were killed in 2003 and 17 year old Aalish Patterson was killed in 2005. After looking into these stories I was quite horrified to think that a campaign like this wasn't already being produced. It has been a need for a number of years, probably decades but nothing has ever been done to change the law on young drivers or even the awareness that accidents can happen.
No comments:
Post a Comment